Please critique these two flemish giants

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I am buying at least one - possibly both of these from an EXCELLENT breeder who is known for not selling junk.

However - I'd like to hear your comments on them. They are 6/8 category - so they're the same age as my Nyx and can be bred this April. (I forgot to ask for weights on them).

I have the breeder's comments on them but I would prefer to share them later (I shared them in my blog - but please don't post them here).

HNI_0091.jpg

HNI_0092.jpg

This is LG102

HNI_0093.jpg

HNI_0094.jpg

This is LG108

Please do not hold back or worry about hurting my feelings - when I ask for a critique - I am asking for "the good, the bad and the ugly"....

SilverBirchRabbitry wrote:
LG108 is better than the 1st one.
I will get into detail when I come back :)
I'm not looking for which one is "better" than the other one as these are going to be largely brood does - and so I need to think of the strengths and weaknesses of my lines as far as rise, balance, coloring, size, etc.

But I'm looking to hear what breeder I respect have to say about their strengths and weaknesses as individuals.

Better poses would be more helpful. Their hindquarters are tucked up, so it's really difficult to evaluate them. Butt view photos are also invaluable.

The 2nd photo of the first doe is probably the best posed of the 4 pictures. You can definitely see howthe difference in poseaffects the rise from the shoulders to the back to the hips.

In the first photo, there is a short, high rise that slopes off suddenly (photos 3 & 4, of doe LG108, are similar). Photo #2shows a pretty nice rise - onthe very same doe.

Though I agree rear shots would be helpful, especially to assessthe hips,the posing is a big issue. You can't tell everything from a "butt shot".

The 2nd doe might have just as good or better body type, but you just can't tell it from the wayshe is(not)posed.

One feature not mentioned...they appear to have nice even coloration.

Does the Lg102 have a longer face than the LG108? It seems to be in better proportion to the body.

I'm going to be asking Juan for better photos this weekend if he can - even though I'm planning on getting at least one - if not both - of the does.

My first instinct was to go with the second doe - one of the things I like about Juan's lines are that they are larger than my current ones and I need to bring the depth of body (width?) into my lines.

When I asked him which one he thought was best - here were his comments..

I think LG108 is the most impressive because it has better traits: massiveness, awesome head, very round hindquarters. She has rise but not as great as the other doe. In my opinion her biggest flaw is her color-a little too dark.

When I get some updated photos - I'll share them here.

Latest posts

Back