Deworming???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen

Reaction score
Hello, all! I don't know if anyone remembers me or not. I haven't been on in a while.My Neth. Dwarf, Madison, is doing well and I got a new addition today(will post pics soon). :)

I thought of a question for y'all...Do rabbits need to be dewormed? Can the vet do a fecal check on them like cats and dogs? What kinds of intestinal parasites affect rabbits?

Thanks!

Jen :)

I've had problems with tapeworms when I get the occasional flea infestation. I'm a bit paranoid now, but all it takes is two injections of Dronsit (sp?) and a flea treatment to clear that up. And lots of scrubbing. :X

Anyway, vets can check that like with cats and dogs.

Rose

P.S. watch out for flea treatments such as Advantage and Revolution. They can be deadly to rabbits! I use powder.

I've found that most of the rabbits we've purchased have had pinworms.

Show rabbits are frequently exposed to pinwormsand can get anumber of different types of parasites including roundworms.I'd most certainly have a fecal & tape test done for wormsbefore starting any treatment with a pet rabbit.

Pam

Thanks everybody! :) One morequestion. If Advantage and Revolution are no-no's is thereanything that's safe to use for fleas (other than powder)? Idon't have a problem at this point but just for future reference.

Advantage and Program have beenrecommended for use in rabbits.

Frontline, Sentinal or any permethrin products are *not* recommendedfor topical use onrabbits. I do use an automaticpermethrin sprayer in my rabbitry.

Carbaryl products (such as Sevin 5% dust and many flea powders) arecommonly used. I used carbaryl sevin dust for many years onrabbits, however have seen neurological reactions in cats from carbarylproducts.

From HRS website "http://www.rabbit.org/care/tips98.html
Cat flea products are generally safe for rabbits with fleas. It'sbetter to stick with powders and sprays. Carbaryl is the ingredientpreferred by the House Rabbit Society's veterinary advisors. One mustbe hesitant to treat rabbits' fleas aggressively, because the cure canbe more stressful than the infestation, so flea baths and dips are notrecommended."

Ivomec can be effective against early stages of fleas (but not adults).

Remember, that hyper-sensitive individuals may have a reaction to products generally considered safe for use.

More info on these links:

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/warren-wise/fleas.html

http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/health/vet-talk/frontline.html

Pam

If I treat my cat and dog for fleas, it should help to keep fleas out of the house but we can carry them in ourselves. Should I worry about Bo getting them?

No one tested Bo for worms when we got him. Should I be concerned? He was from a breeder. He's not due for his annual exam until October.

A fecal test is inexpensive. Take a fecal sample in as well as a piece of scotch tape that has been firmly applied to the rectum and pulled off -- this will pick up pinworm eggs. If you have a microscope at home, you can view the oval shaped eggs yourself.

If you don't see evidence of fleas on Bo, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Advantage and Program have beenrecommended for use in rabbits.

Whoops! Sorry--just realized that I somehow mixed up Advantage with Frontline (go figure!).

*Rose, repeat several times*:

Advantage is the good one, Frontline is the bad one....:p

My apologies folks, and thanks for catching that one, Pam!

Rose

rabbitgirl wrote:
pamnock wrote:
Advantage andProgram have beenrecommended for use in rabbits.

Whoops! Sorry--just realized that I somehow mixed up Advantage with Frontline (go figure!).

*Rose, repeat several times*:

Advantage is the good one, Frontline is the bad one....:p

My apologies folks, and thanks for catching that one, Pam!

Rose

You weren't actually in error Rose -- There have been reports of fatalities with Advantage -- but those cases appeared to be related to the rabbits ingesting it by licking it off other animals. The products that appear to be the most dangerous are those containing permethrins.

Pam

You can pick up some ear mite drops for rabbitsor cats at the pet store and see if a couple applications clears up thediscomfort.

Occasional scratching isn't unusual, but if you are noticing it a lot, ear mites could be the cause.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Youweren't actually in error Rose -- There have been reports of fatalitieswith Advantage -- but those cases appeared to be related to the rabbitsingesting it by licking it off other animals. The productsthat appear to be the most dangerous are those containing permethrins.

Pam
Bunbun, when treated with Revolution, performed an amazing contortion to lick it off the back of his shoulders, where the vet said to put it. I never thought he could reach there. I called the vet in a panic, asking if it was toxic and what to do. The vet tech laughed and said there should be no side effects except a little drooling (indogs)--that it was perfectly safe.

The hair fell out in that spot over the next few days and a large open sore formed. Eventually it covered his entire right shoulder. All skin and hair came off in a large chunk. A few weeks later, I discovered large masses under his jaw and on his forehead, and he aperfectly healthy, happy, active elderly rabbit that didn't actnearly his age.

Do you know if Revolution contains permethrins? And whatabout pyrethrins? Are they safe?

Thanks for your expertise once again!!

Rose

Rose,

It sounds like your rabbit had a very unusual reaction to Revolution --possibly some type of allergic response. Revolution is Selamectin from the drug family of Avermectins and has been clinicallyproven safe on rabbits. Obviously, this never means completely safe, nor does it indicate that that some individuals may not be adversely affected. Since Selamectin is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream through the skin,an allergic reation to the drug could be fatal. Age may also have been a factor.

Here's more info on the pyrethrinshttp://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/pyrethrins-ziram/pyrethrins-ext.html

Pam

About a month ago after trying powder i resorted to using revoultion on my rabbits and used front line on the cats. Everyone came out ok and no more fleas. So is it safe to say that its a safe product for my bunnies if the need arises again.

Cristy

Latest posts

Back