Ferrets, feed thereof

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Jones

Reaction score
Just found a ferret in our back yard.Believe we found the owner, too, but in the mean time, what does aferret eat, that we might have around the house. I don'tanticipate a very long stay.

Buck

Fruit or berries, Buck. Any fruit. Don't give it rabbit pellets. Youcan offer it some of the dried fruit you give the rabbits, but it mightnot eat it.

Canned fruit isn't the best, but it's okay for tonight.

-Carolyn

And what does Missy think of all of this chaos? Best let Mrs. Buck dealwith the ferret so that Missy doesn't get too jealous. I'm sureCalbert's as Cool as a Cucumber.

A ferret just runnin around the yard and you guys catch it.

Only You, Buck.

Only You.

-Carolyn

Remember that ferrets are hunters in the wild, andare meat eaters by nature as well so if you aren't to sure of its"upbringing" I wouldn't let it out with your bunnies.

What ever you feed them do not give them dairy products and if you havea premium brand cat food, it will do for tonight. Ferretsneed High contents of protien to survive. They need plenty ofwater. If you have a spare water bottle I would offer it tothe ferret.

Also if you chose to let it lose in your home, keep your keys in adrawer of somewhere the ferret isn't allowed to get.

FYI the poo way more than bunnies do and it isn't as easy to cleanup. Ferrets usually go in the most convienent corner thatthey have avaliable when the urge comes about.

Good Luck. For the most part they are very easy animals totend to. I use to have 2 of them. I had to givethem away when I moved to Cali.

Dog food, cooked hamburger, hot dog, etc. shouldhold it over. We fed ours Biljack (sp?) years ago.It was a soft (but not canned) dog food.

Be careful -- darn things have sharp teeth and can bite rather hard. They are very curious and highly destructive.

Pam

And There Ya Have It Folks!

What is the likelihood of a ferret running around someone's backyard in New Jersey?

Thank God Buck Jones's rabbits were safely tucked away in their hutches.

-Carolyn

My neighbors had a ferret & it escapedfromtheir back yard a few years ago lol maybe it made it allthe way down to where Buck is :D

~pam

* laughs *

HEY BUUUCCCKK????

Pamela227's got the owner over here!!!

Well, the little darling walked right up to me asI was exiting my shed with a trap in order to attempt to trapit. I called it into the shed and shut thedoor....captured! It was so sweet and had seemed to want toget into the trap, that is a havaheart trap that looks like a cage, soI walked into the shed, picked it up, and placed in into thetrap. It is obviously very, very tame.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Buck

aww! well there are formulated ferretfoods out there (i.e.:marshalls)-theyre quite expensivethough.but if you wont be keeping her longer than a day orso, you can get away with giving her cat/dog food and be sure tosupplement with fruit/veggies. cat or dog foods arent really good forferrets but for the time being itll be okay. and cutieontwo is soright...their poop is soft and not small...kinda like cat poo. watchout if she starts digging and defnitely hide your keys. lol.

Aw, and here I had a cartoon character pictured inmy mind of this man eating ferret being absolutely un-catchable, eatingand destroying all in its path :p I do know they can be sweetanimals, but..well you know how the mind works~is she/he home yet? poorthing :?

Cher

lol From reading all of Buck's posts, I'mconvinced he's got plans for everything! :DHow do you do it?!I think he's got secret manuals with plans for every occasion stashedaway somewhere that we don't know about! I hope youget in touch with the owners soon, or good luck with plan b,I'm sure its an excellent loving,caring plan since it came fromyou:D

~pam

My sister and Iroomed together in college. She bought her ferret, Tobias(Toby)at the same time that I bought my rabbit, Chaucer.Because we bought them at the same time and raised them together, theydid well. Chaucer would let Toby know when he was getting on her nervestoo much. Ferrets are so much like perpetual kittens. They play playplay, and then flop on the floor and sleep. Ferrets do tendto find anything rubber, or things that make noise like keys and bells,and hide them. I had two ferrets in my first house (Eddie and TheBrain) and when we moved out, the waterbed had tons of "stuff"underneath it. :DGood luck with the new critter,Buck!

Minda

Find the Ferret! ;)

S5032684.JPG

WOW! It wasn't easy to find the ferret, but I did!!

I don't think Buck will keep the ferret. He's leaning towardsdownsizing rather than growing his furry friends, but I could bewrong! God knows I have been many times before!

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back