Sneezing Buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunty

Reaction score
We had a gig rescue in December the day beforeXmas and saved 30 buns that were in a fire and ir horrible conditions.We saved who we were able some had gangerine smoke problems etc. All ofus involved have noticed sneezing no discharge eating well and actingnormal. Should I put them all on antibiotics or hust the ones I foundsneezing. WE feel tha was the source because whe all have buns fromthere in foster care

Can anyone pay for blood tests of, at least, a fewof the rabbits, to determine what you might be dealing with,actually? If, pasturella, anti-biotics may only serve as aprophylactic measure and not a cure.

Buck

I will call and ask. I have two that are chronicand they are worse and 2 others that are and maybe I should take them.Will call Dr Bonnie right now, as you might have read I had one thatgot pnemoinia once and don't need that again

Thanks

Corky

I agree with Buck. If it's Pasturella,it's highly contagious and the whole herd is suseptible. Thesooner you treat it, the betterchance you have of getting ridof it. It's a good sign that there's nonasaldischarge, but I'd really consider getting thetestsdone so that you know what you're dealing with.

I hesitate to medicate a rabbit unless it absolutely has tobe.The immune system can get used to the medicineand then not react to it.

You're an angel to save those rabbits.

-Carolyn

I'd remove the chronic ones from the others. Could be dangerous until you know for sure what's going on.

-Carolyn

Got back and Dr Bonnie did blood on my Flat Topand Gidget. It has to be sent off but she feels they may be reacting tomy husband cleaning carpets than being sick. As far as the Richmondrabbits they were not here because I moved the older unadoptables to myhouse to make room. The blood will be sent out but I am to monitor themand give Baytril to my chronic guy. She said if I brought it to thehouse Dec 24 it should have happened long before now and I do not takemy buns to the rescue itself. I guess I will wait it out asshe said

Hi Bunty,

Good Job getting them in and looked at.

Don't be fooled into thinking that if the symptoms go away while beingtreated with Baytril, the rabbit is 100% healthy again. If it isPasteurella, it can oftentimes go dormant during medication, but returnwhen the medication stops.

-Carolyn

I dont know why, but this post reminds me of a joke...

How do you make a hanky dance......?

You put a little boogie in it!!

Hi Bunty, Can you help me out with someinformation? I am curious about the vet drawing blood fromyour buns. What part of the rabbit body do they use to getthe blood? Did it seem to be an easy process? Howstressed out did your buns get? They must have used a verysmall needle. I guess with all that fur it would be hard tosee a vein if you didn't know exactly where to go. Anyinformation you can share will be helpful. I have a bun whohas been sneezing lately and if it continues I will have to take himand get the test done. I have been using Vicks on his nosesince Sunday and he is not sneezing near as much.He seems healthy except for the sneezing but I do not want to take anychances. I enjoyed your post about trying to relax after thevet visit. LOL - i don't know how you keep up with all ofthem. I have 2- both around 8 lbs and they keep mebusy. Beckie

They draw blood from the vein in theirears. Mine do not stressat too much becasue w dragthem around alot and they like the vets except Bunty because Bonniesaid she was a little holstein. Most of mine had a blood screen whenneutered so now I will wait to hear from vet

2bunmom, I know your question wasn't directed at me, but perhaps this answer will be helpful.

Sherman had the blood test for Pasturella done on Saturday (resultsstill pending). What the vet did was shave a small area ofhis leg and withdraw blood from there. I was afraid that itwas going to be a traumatic experience, but Sherman didn't seemaffected at all by it.

Hope this helps! :)

BM- yes it does help andI was originallygoing to address the question to you but I saw that Bunty had just beento the vet and had the blood test done on her rabbits. Mylittle boy Trouble is not sneezing near as much sinceI havebeen using the Vicks. He really hates it when I put it on hisnose! He tries to wash it off right away! Poorlittle Guy! Thanks for all your help. Beckie

2bunmom, are you sure that you're supposed to putit directly on his nose? Their little noses are reallysensitive, and it may be burning him a bit. I had theimpression that you were supposed to put it either to the side of eachnostril or right underneath.

Maybe Pamnock, Buck, or Carolyn will come along and clarify whether this is so or not.

Still no word from the vet on blood work but I amthinking she might be right about the cleaners my husband was using. Heis really sweet with doing things in the house. We had the windows allopen with the fans going and I can not smell it any more and it didbring the sneezing etc to an end. The little chroinc guy even stop. Itis so funny though that he and my husband seem to be affected by thesame things in the air. In fact when he is on nebulizer he shares itwith Bud and it helps him too

I think a vaporizer in a small room is far moreeffective, but the vicks can be applied in the area under thenose. VetRx can also be used.

Pam

Just thinkin about you and yours, Bunty. Hope the test results comeback like Sherman's. I've read in many places that rabbits areparticularly sensitive to cleaners.

Tucker's got allergies, I'm certain of it. Once I got an air purifier, the occasional sneezing stopped.

You were wise to get the tests done. It's worth the money to find outwhat you're dealing with so you can treat it properly. No wonder whySherman (BunnyMommy's rabbit) was putting up such a fight when it cameto Medicine Time.

Prayers are being sent up for the chronic one, especially. :) Those rabbits sure are lucky to have you.

-Carolyn

Bunnymommy wrote:
2bunmom, are you sure that you're supposed to put itdirectly on his nose? Their little noses are reallysensitive, and it may be burning him a bit. I had theimpression that you were supposed to put it either to the side of eachnostril or right underneath.

Maybe Pamnock, Buck, or Carolyn will come along and clarify whether this is so or not.
Pamnock, Carolyn, or Buck, could you please address this?

Thanks.

Pam had said "under" and I would tend to suspectshe would recommending upon experience, or some very, very soundadvice. Vicks in one of those miracle substances that do many things,like heal cuts, cure dandruff, clear sinuses, etc.

Buck

Latest posts

Back