breeding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig

Reaction score
i have some new Zealand rabbits.how many daysshould i wait till i should breed her again.she had first litter butkilled all of them :X.need to know how many days i should wait till iput a male with her.thank you for your help. Craig

Hi Craig,

I'm not a breeder, but from what I've read the act of mating causes thefemale to ovulate, making her fertile. So basically, does are ready tobreed most of the time.

A breeder told me that you take the female to the male because if youdo it the other way around, the female can get territorial about hercage and things don't go as smoothly. If they fight or she's hostiletowards his advances, separate them. The season may be wrong for her orit may not be a good match.

After you've seen them mate twice (it happens very quickly), separatethem and 20 days later, you should see her abdomen growing much larger.

Not all does are good mothers and you have to watch them closely to seeif she's feeding them. Are their bellies warm and round in the morning?Rabbits only feed their babies once a day and it's usually early in themorning, around 5 a.m. or so. Trekcip had explained to another posterof the board that if the babies are born on the wire cage, you have toplace them in the nest box. If you don't do this, you could lose thembecause the doe won't move them on her own, and she'll feed them whenthey're in the nest box.

Trekcip has been breeding for many years and has received a lot of blueribbons for the rabbits she has bred. She and Pamnock are a greatsource of help and knowledge in the area of health and breeding.

-Carolyn

As Carolyn said, the doe is to be put in the buck'scage to avoid the doe attacking the buck and injuring him. Donot leave the two rabbits unattended.

If a doe has lost a litter, it is best to breed her *within* the 3 daysof the loss (provided she is in good condition) as this is when she ismost receptive. Nature has provided for the rabbit to be a"production machine" during the spring/summer months and providesoptimaltime management for production by a hormone boost thatserves as a catalyst for the doe to mate ASAP after giving birth.

Pam

Craig,
I am a breeder of New Zealand WhiteRabbits from Texas.Well I have a doe just like that which she does thatalot. When I breed her every time I do she drops thwm with in to weekswhich we all know that is half of what it fully takes but I normalymate them after the 6th day of being mated and keep doing it for acouple of day's to enxure the pregnecie.If the buck does not mate withthe doe that will mean more than likely the secimen has taken place andthat she is pregenet.

Fellow New Zealand White Rabbit Breeder,
Samantha Williams
';)

Of all the time that I take my buns out of theircages to play, run, etc they never go for it, all they do is sniff eachother etc

ayglnu13 wrote:
Ya but are they fixed? And how old are they? And I thoughtthis post was about when to rebreed a rabbit?? :p

~Amy

Oh lol sorry, I didnt see the part where it says to breed again:pBut just incase anyone knows how I get my buns to breed,please reply! and no they are not fixed, about 3 months old, Thanks!

Dont breed your bunnies at 3 months old, it isWAY to young for the doe, it can be VERY stressful of her, not tomention the medical problems that might occur. I bred my doe at 9months and now that I am thinking back on it, I think that 9 was even alittle early. I also dont suggest breeding bunnies that arnt purebred.There are so many mixed bunnies that dont have a home, and it can beMUCH harder to sell mixed bunnies then selling a purebred bunnie. Imean just look at my topichttp://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=6320&forum_id=1 and seewhat could go wrong, you could end up with babies you have to help getfed every day, or worse dead babies.

~Amy

Paulo wrote:
Ohlol sorry, I didnt see the part where it says to breed again:pBut just incase anyone knows how I get my buns to breed,please reply! and no they are not fixed, about 3 months old, Thanks!
You have a few months left before your rabbits are at breeding age.What breed are your rabbits? The smaller breeds should be bred at 6months of age. However, the bigger breeds don't mature as fast andrequire a longer time to mature. I'm not exactly sure what age thebigger breeds can be bred as I've always raised Dwarf breeds.

Breeder of Dwarf Hotots,
Amanda

ayglnu13 wrote:
Dont breed your bunnies at 3 months old, it is WAY to youngfor the doe, it can be VERY stressful of her, not to mention themedical problems that might occur. I bred my doe at 9 months and nowthat I am thinking back on it, I think that 9 was even a little early.

I read that its not good to breed at a young age but not too much good to bread it at an old age or near 1 year old, is it true?

Paulo wrote:
Iread that its not good to breed at a young age but not too much good tobread it at an old age or near 1 year old, is it true?
What breed of rabbits are you going to be breeding?
With 4-Class rabbits (rabbits that sexually mature fast) its best tobreed at 6 months. However, you don't want to wait too long for a doeto have her first litter. From my experience older does tend to havesmaller litters. I don't have experience with having first time doeskindle at 3 yrs old. However, 3 years old is when I see the productionrates drop in my rabbits. Once the does get older, I also notice thatthey don't seem to be as willing to breed.

Think of it this way.. a 20 yr old women would most likely have ahealthierpregnancy over a 40 yr old women's pregnancy. I'mnot saying 40 yr old women have bad pregnancies but just the 'age'deal. Majority of people don't gasp when they hear a 20 yr old ispregnant but they do when they hear of a 40 yr old pregnant women.

Latest posts

Back