Any idea on Georgie's breed/colour?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
This is Georgie!

I haven't weighed him yet, but I estimate him at 6-8lbs. He's a big boy, has very short fur, but it's not plush like a rex. Almost bristly, but could be due to a lower quality pellet he was being fed. He has huge ears,

My assumptions are that he is a standard rex cross, like my Jasmine is. He has a similar body type to the big rexes' but not the fur. Also, would his colour be gold tipped (ticked) with some silver tipped? It looks similar to Bruno's fur (silvertipped steel) so that's what makes me think he's a gold tipped with a few silver tipped in his fur or something.He doesn't have a white belly, almost a sandy gold colour underneath but not on his whole belly. Also doesn't have the agouti rings in his fur, so don't think he's an agouti, is he?

Aug29009-1.jpg

Aug31039-1.jpg

Aug24009.jpg

Aug24007.jpg

Thanks!

He could be agouti. On someone elses post they were talkjing about how agouti usually have white around there noses and looks like he does. I am not a profesional or anything though so maybe someone knows better.

Aly!:tongue

Steel is a variation of agouti. The steel gene darkens the classic agouti markings (such as thebelly) and fills in the intermediate band.

You can still see vestigial "hints" of agouti showing through, such as the nose lacing on the rabbit pictured.

The steel gene does not act on self coats that are already completely filled in with color nor does it add ticking to a self coat.

Extremely dark steels are usually homozygous.

So, the gold tipped steel pictured is a genetic chestnut agouti with the steel gene.

Pam

An additional though, Georgie's color may have come from a Satin or New Zealand cross. Although neither color accepts steels for show, they both carry the steel gene extensively in their lines.

Pam

Did not know that.....COOL!

pamnock wrote:
Steel is a variation of agouti. The steel gene darkens the classic agouti markings (such as thebelly) and fills in the intermediate band.

You can still see vestigial "hints" of agouti showing through, such as the nose lacing on the rabbit pictured.

The steel gene does not act on self coats that are already completely filled in with color nor does it add ticking to a self coat.

Extremely dark steels are usually homozygous.

So, the gold tipped steel pictured is a genetic chestnut agouti with the steel gene.

Pam

Wow - thank you so much my bunny breed guru's! Very interesting!

So best bet for his breed due to his colouring would be a NZ with Satin? He has some type of short haired breed in him, hair is quite short, about 3/4 inch long on his back.

Latest posts

Back