Pasteurella

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn

Reaction score

Sherman has "the sniffles" and Baytril has been effective in relieving him.

Can Baytril be given long-term?

-Carolyn

Hey, Carolyn! I can't believe that you started this thread!!!

I've been gathering info so that I could begin a thread on thistopic. I was waiting until Sherman's appointment on Saturdaythough to pull everything together.

It's my understanding from the reading that I've been doing thatBaytril can be given in the long-term with no negative sideeffects. In fact, it's one of the few antibiotics that'srecommended for long-term use for this type of illness.

And p.s., I'm not certain yet (based on my understanding) whetherSherman indeed has the dreaded Pasturella or "snuffles" yet ornot. His official diagnosis the last time was "early onset ofsuspected upper respiratory infection". I stand to becorrected if these are indeed the same things.

I may be wrong, but I believe that Baytril can upset the GI intestinal system.

I think I recall Pamnock saying that she'd let the rabbit go offtreatment until the symptoms reoccurred and then she'd treat them whenthey return. I wonder if VetRx might curtail the symptoms a bit.Pamnock has had good results with the VetRx, and I'm just wondering ifit's an alternative.

Maybe juggling both would work, I don't know. Trying to figure it out.

-Carolyn

My Flemish is on Baytrill for three weeks as shehas a severe urinary tract infection and so far I have not noticeanything but would like any info anyone can find on the subject

We have to start school in a few minutes, so I just have time to throw out a few thoughts :)

My first step would be to start Ivomec treatment once a week for 5weeks. You'll want to eliminate the stress factor of anyparasites.

I find Nutri Cal very helpful in boosting a rabbit's immune system andwould give a small amount to any rabbit showing signs of illness.

Baytril, Dicural and Ciprofloxacin can all be used long term.I recommend Vicks or VetRx to help relieve the symptoms of rhinitis.

I have found that the old stand by, tetracycline, can be very effective in treating non-specific rhinitis long term.

Eye ointment may be necessary for runny eyes.

Be sure other causes of weepy eye and rhinitis have been ruled out,such as (but not limited to)blocked tear ducts,parasitesandmalocclusion.

I am rather reluctant to put a rabbit on a permanent antibiotic regiment, but do follow the advice of your vet on treatment.

Overweight, older rabbits and those with round shaped heads are moreprone to rhinitis and sounding congested when they breath.It's important to carefully monitor the diet -- being fat isn't healthyfor anyone :)

Common causes of "snuffles" symptoms are pasteurella, Bordatella, Strep, Staph and pseudomonas bacteria.

Pam N.

Thanks Pam! This one's a Keeper.

-Carolyn

Thanks Pam for the info. That is why the vet wantsus to keep weight down on our Flemish. I was just unsure if so manyantibiotics would hurt her and cause her immune system to godown. My vet said her goal right now is to keep this asurinary and not have it progress into a kidney infection

Pam, you're a real jewel!:dude: The information that you provide here is invaluable.

I'm going to print out what you've written and take it with me to thevet on Saturday so that I can speak intelligently when we discuss thedynamics of Sherman's health.

I second that emotion about Pamnock being a Jewel here and theinformation she provides being invaluable. Can't find that sort ofthing out in the books!

Pamnock is a treasure in and of herself.

:dude:

-Carolyn

What of Bunty's bunny's problem with the urinary tract infection? Howlong do they stick around for and what about the Baytril in thatsituation? Does there come a point where Baytril should be stoppedafter so long to give the rabbit a breather, and what do you think ofhomeopathic treatments in between as a break from the medication?

-Carolyn

Pamnock,

Any thoughts on the questions posed to you on the previous note I posted to you on this thread?

Thanks. :)

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:

Pamnock,

Any thoughts on the questions posed to you on the previous note I posted to you on this thread?

Thanks. :)

-Carolyn

Hi belated birthday girl!

Hope you had a great day yesterday.

Did you mean in reference tourinary tract infections? (I feellike I miss so much on this board) -- but it is very active and hard tokeep up on everything :)

Age can be a factor with urinary problems. Urinary/kidneyproblems are very common as bunns start to get older. Irecommend a low calcium diet for pet bunns over 2 and encourage them todrink, drink, drink, so the bladder will frequently empty.Fruit juices with no sugar can encourage bunny to drink more.Excercise will also make bunny more thirsty.

Pam

Yes, Pamnock,

You've answered my question about Bunty's bunny.

Thank you!

I know what you mean about this board moving fast and missing things.

:shock:

You've gotta be Race Rabbit in order to keep up sometimes.

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
Yes, Pamnock,

You've answered my question about Bunty's bunny.

Thank you!

I know what you mean about this board moving fast and missing things.

:shock:

You've gotta be Race Rabbit in order to keep up sometimes.

-Carolyn
I know! I know! I'm glad it's not justme! I'm missing posts more and more frequently, and I thinkthat I'm pretty good about knowing how to navigate the board.I know that I'm moving from "puter" to "puter", but good gravy, Ishouldn't be missing as many as I am.

I've got to get into better shape! lol! :D

Thank I took all the kale out of her diet and Iwant to know if I should back off pellets some as they do contain a lota calcium, She has hay all the time. Also she has urine onherback legs what is safe to wash her with? I never washed my buns becauseI was told not to unless they were real dirty like poopy butt

Re: Bathing, Check out http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/buttbath.html

What other foods do you give your rabbit? For example,alfalfa is high in calcium, don't know if you give the little one thator not. What type of pellets are you feeding him/her?

From the Rabbit Welfare Association:

Excess Calcium

An excess amount of calcium can lead to a multitude of problems.

A rabbit fed on a good, balanced diet should not be calcium deficientand does not need a calcium or mineral supplement. The average sizedpet rabbit (approx. 2.5kg) needs typically around 510mg of calcium perday. Any more and they may be predisposed to developing calculi(stones) or sludge‚ in their urinary tract system.

Rabbits have an unusual calcium metabolism. In most mammals, the amountof calcium absorbed from the diet is regulated at gut level byParathyroid hormone (PTH), but in rabbits calcium absorption is lesswell regulated and they absorb calcium in proportion to what is presentin their diet, whether or not they require it. Any excess calcium thatis absorbed into the blood stream from the gut is excreted through theurinary tract, where it may be deposited and form calculi. Rabbits canform solid calcifications in their kidneys, ureters, bladder orurethra, as well as depositing thick calcium "sludge" in their kidneysor bladder.

-Carolyn

Bunty,

Have you washed the little one yet and have you been able to track his/her calcium intakes?

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back