False pregnancies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
Hey guys! Thought I'd ask this here...in a new thread. (The topic started in the Bunny Q's thread.)

Someone mentioned that false pregnancies are painful for bunnies...is this true? I wanted to ask because all three of my girls (Trixie's spayed) have gone through them, but I've never been under the impression that they cause them pain, either emotionally or physically. I've never noticed any changed behaviour, except a higher level of hormones and thus whatever each girls is like when she's hormonal...but never any pain-indicating behaviour.

So...are false pregnancies painful?

(And to the member that said it, I'm not trying to argue...I just like to get my facts. :))

Hmm, I don't think they would be painful, unless the false pregnancy is being caused by some sort of infection that is filling the uterin horns? Apart from that I think the only painful part for the bunny is when her proudly made nest is removed by the concerned owner, hehe :D.

Maybe in a way, it's painful for the bunny who is expecting babies and never gets any, personally I'm not sure if rabbits can think or feel that way though,

Yeah...I've never seen any of my girls "depressed" after having a false pregnancy...so I don't think it saddens them. And I have all parts of the spectrum as far as emotions on these girls, too. Hehe!

Yup, you sure do! :D

I really don't see how it could be painful, I've never seen any signs of pain from a doe when having a fasle labour. Quite the opposite, they often seem very alert and active and full of energy and pleasure at their nest building tasks. In saying that though, you never can tell really.

I don't see why it would be painful, either, even a real pregnancy isn't usually painful. Unless you're talking about actual labor. Do false pregnancies usually go so far as to have a false labor? Since mine aren't in the house, and they usually have kits in the night or early am when I am not around, I haven't seen that happen before.

I don't think it's painful....but it is stressful. We give them a "hidey box" (nest box)and allow the event to run it's course. We even give them extra bedding material to help them out. It's actually quite intersting to watch. No need to add stress by destroying the nest. We also use a lot of patience and understanding. Maybe one day all our girls will not have to worry about them ever again.

Randy

i meant that it would make the bunny sad. i just assumed that they would be upset if they thought they were pregnant and didn't have any babies. i guess i spoke without knowing what i was saying. it seemed to me that cami the flemmie who recently had a false pregnancy was pretty upset when it was going on... and lady buns that lose their babies are often quite sad about it. sorry if what i said was wrong. i just thought that it would be hard on her, and cami was prettu upset about it...

Latest posts

Back