soo cute

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batbunny

Reaction score
batman & i went to the parktoday! it was adorable...i finally got his harness on him, so he was onhis leash-hopping around & getting all kinds of attention fromthe kids. a cop even stopped and petted him. so many people driving byrolled down their windows to see him. he must think hes a movie starnow :)anyway, just wanted to share! :p

Aren't parks sowonderful? Elf gets spoiled with all the attention from the kids. I tryto take pictures when we go, but sometimes it's so difficult when thereare people coming up every second to ask questions about having a petrabbit. I find that some parents are afraid to let their kids pet her,even though I reassure them that she's very sweet.

My favorite day to take her is Sunday.The local chapter of SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) meets atone of the parks we frequent. Full armor sword play and fencing is veryamusing to watch. Some of the members bring their ferrets and parrotsand such along with them. Elf fits right in with the bunch.:)

Minda

Just a word of caution, if you are taking yourbunny to parks and letting them hop around on the grass. First find outif the park used fertilizer or pesticides and so on before you let yourbunny run! You don't want to make them sick.

Cute that you took him to the park and got all that attention. :)

There are no parks here.... it's my back yard and the pavement for Meg! :) She doesn't care.

Ok.....how did you get the leash on your rabbit.

We just bought Thumper a leash today and tried to put it on.

She was great.....we got the part around her neck and clipped the partaround her stomach.....then put her down discovered that both partswere somehow around her belly.

She didn't like it one bit, and ran, and ran, and ran, and ran, andran.......finally I was able to grab the leash and it pulled right off.

She was NOT a happy camper.;)

Guess we'll give it another try tomorrow.:)

Megan didn't like her harness at first neither,she chews on it so it has some rips, but she doesn't seem to mind itnow. Make sure its nice and tight, but not too tight, you should beable to fit a finger between her and the harness :)

Speaking of kids and the rabbits.....

Every Halloween my husband puts the rabbits outside in their cages.

He makes up signs "BEWARE OF KILLER RABBITS"...."VAMPIRE BUNNY" and will draw pictures of bunnies with fangs.

He and the rabbits then sit out front to give out the treats to the kids.

It's funny when the kids go up to the cages and they turn and ask....."Are they REALLY killer rabbits?"

My husband will tell 'em, "Go ahead stick your fingers in the cage, and see what happens."

The brave ones will stick their pinkies in, but as soon as the rabbits move they pull 'em out pretty fast.:)

OMG that is great

Killer bunnies indeed!

Elf is a beatiful bun, btw :) I actually saw a guy here in the park,whom on first glance I thought was plain wacked. He was walking incircles with a white rope trailing behind him. Upon closer inspection(discreetly of course, since I be a foreigner an all) I realized he wasplaying with his NON harnessed or leashed rabbit. I was shocked! Hethen proceeded to jump rope around the track in the park with lil bunsitting contently in the middle under a tree. In the corner of thepark, this crazy man (okay, I had drawn the wrong conclusion to startoff with) started talking to a tree on his 1/2 way mark around thetrack~LO and BEHOLD there was another of his bunnies, hanging out undera tree there! He was obviously talking to her/him.

I was almost late for class I was so caught up in this wonderous display :shock:

LOL!! Killer rabbits, that's too cute! Must be anadventure for the buns seeing all the ghosts & monsters passingby lol. :D

My father had a sign like that made for my bunny's cage, it's metallike a liscense plate & says "beware of attack rabbit" it hangsinfront of her cage. People that come to the house get a real kick outof it :)

Are there any secrets/tips to getting your bunny to actually like theharness?I too had tried with mine & boy was she upsetwith me when i got 1/2 of it on her.She went nuts until she finallystayed still enough for me to get it off, then I got dirty looks lol :?

~pam

Thank you, Cher. Elfis going to get a big head with all these compliments on her cuteness(not that she doesn't know it already).

I wish I could help more on the harnesstraining. I have always put my rabbits on leads when they are outside.I start from the moment they come home with me. Elf is at the point nowwhere she just hunkers down and lets me put it on withoutfussing...just don't touch the whiskers!

I guess I just don't trust my animals offleads. Well, I don't trust the combination of animals without leads andcrazy maniac drivers who don't watch what they're doing. Or people wholet their cats roam around the neighborhood like predators. Or peoplewho let their dogs roam around the neighborhood ready to bite mybunny's head off. If I have her on a lead, I feel pretty secure that Ican get to her in enough time to ward off evil. It would be nice if allpet owners were conscientious, but until that time, I'll keep herleashed.

So, if you're starting now, with an olderbun, my only thought is to treat treat treat when you get the harnesson, and take the bun to somewhere wonderful so she/he associates theharness with lovely things. :D

Minda

My boys HATE the harness being put on them, but ifyou're persistent they learn to deal with it. Since Mocha and Spiceboth used to go NUTS and run around the yard when I put it on, Istarted putting it on them in the run and letting them get used to itwhere I don't have to worry about them getting out and I don't have tochase them. This works WONDERFUL when you actually take them outbecause they aren't thinking about running away from the harness, theyare thinking about exploring. Plus in an enclosed area, you can trainthem easier to listen to the tension on the lead to do things like stopand go a different way. But it's still more of a follow the bunnything, just you can keep them out of trouble. If you put the harness onand let them run in an enclosed space, watch to make sure they can'tget it hooked on something, never leave unattended! lol.

LOL that's one of the mostcommon questions that I get when I take her out, "You mean you can walkher like a dog???" Well, NO. The bunny walks me, not the other wayaround. I bought a 25 foot clothesline to attach to the leash so shecan hop around to her heart's content. When she's going to far, orlooks like she's going to get tangled around a tree, I pull the linetaut. I don't yank her back (bunnies are experts at shrugging out ofharnesses). If the line is taut and she can't go forward any more, shewill generally turn around and hop the other way, and I will slack theline. If she's determined to go in a place I don't want her, and Ithink she will flip around and shrug out of the harness, I go to herquickly and pick her up, pet her and talk to her soothingly as I takeher to a better place.

Occasionally she will walk where I want her to.More often than not I just pick her up and take here where I want her.Elf tolerates being held when carried somewhere. She loves being heldwhen I'm sitting with her on the ground or floor.

Minda

lol, yup, I got that question from my sister! Shewas laughing. Spice is a quick learner, the first time I let the leashget taut he didn't like it at all and tried to run, then whenthat didn't work, he pulls backwards until the leash goes loose, thentries again, sooner or later he realises that mean I won't let him goin there. If he's going somewhere I don't mind him going, it'scompletely loose and I follow him.

goodness-the harness problem...batmangets sooo mad at me. it took nearly an hour to get his on him to takehim to the park. i have a small patch of grass by my apartment that hecan hop around without it, but i didnt want him running free at thepark...too many cars, dogs and people. i actually did talk to a guy atthe park about what/where they spray & he told me the areasthat are safe. HB104, what a funny story!

Awwww! i wish i had the chance to take mine out ona lead but in England it is rarley seen, it is seen to be 'strangebehaviour'. But one thinks it's simply good fun. :)

i guess its strange behavioreverywhere...when we were near the road, people were creeping past& rolling their windows down to get a better look. i hadso many people say "what IS that?" & when i told them itwas a bunny, they were like "ON A LEASH?!" lol...

Latest posts

Back