What kind of rabbit is this?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graepian0

Reaction score
Hi, I was told at the petstore that he was aholland lop. However, he's almost 5 months old and his ears haventdropped yet. I'm guessing he's some kind of mix, perhapshollad/netherland dwarf? Any guesses?

thanks

adoptbanner.png

He could very well be a Holland Lop.Sometimes if distantly related lines are crossed (as opposed to closelyrelated), you get a Holland that does not have good type.They may have the narrow head and upright ears as shown in the photo.

Of course, as you suggested,he could be a Dwarf mix.

His color is a verybeautiful siamese sable : )

Pam

Graeplan0,

What a Beauuuutiful Rabbit. You lucky Duck!

What's his name and how's his personality?

-Carolyn

His name is sebastian and very sweet, loves to cuddle (on the floor), and follows me around like a puppy.

Pam,

You surprised me when you said he could be a Holland Lop, but afterlooking at him again I noticed that he does resemble the Holland Lop(except for the ears!).

I have always loved trying to figure out what breed certain rabbitsare, but the mixed breeds are still pretty hard for me to figure out!

Lissa

If the crown is not well developed, the ears maynot lop. His ears do have the nice wide spoon shape of aHolland ear and they are longer and wider than the dwarfear. It's also not unusual to see the narrower headand fine bone in a Holland from mixed lines or poor breeding.

Of course, I don't know for certain - but we have been breedingHollands for over 14 years (at one time had approx. 160 of them) and Ihave seen similar undesirable traits in purebredHollands, sothe pet store may indeed be correct in stating that the rabbit is aHolland "lop".

Pam

He's the first rabbit I purchased on impulse froma pet store, (my first was a beautiful show quality Angora Dwarf namedJasper) but I bought him solely as a companion and I wont hold his poorbloodlines against him.

Latest posts

Back