Vacinations

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rabbits don't need vaccinations if in the U.S. :)

They're unlike cats and dog in that manner.

-Carolyn

That's right. Sorry, I forgot about Great Britain. Your rabbits need to be of certain age.

The main vaccinations are
(1)Vaccination against RHD (Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease)
(2)Vaccination against Myxomatosis

Canadian Buns don't need shots right??

My mom's friend (the girl who bought me Megan when I couldn't havePeppy) was out in the field walking her dog, when she found 5 littlebaby rabbits trying to hop around with their eyes closed, she said itwas so cute, but sadly, her dog ate one of them :( She says shes goingto try to keep her dogs away from the area until the rabbits can atleast run away from them (both her dogs are huntin' dogs). So, I hopeno more of the get eaten! :(

Hi MyBunnyLovesMe,

As far as I've been told, no they do not need shots! Mine have gone into be neutered and get nails trimmed, and Spice had tests run for apossible urinary track infection (which came out negative) but the vetsaid shots are not necessary.

Great Britain's the only ones that require shots; although some do vaccinate with the second one I pointed out in Australia.

-Carolyn

What is RHD? I dont think I got my last bunny injected with that, if i did i cant remember. is it vital?
Lots of love
lauren and ebony and fidget
xoxoxo

Hi Loz & Ebony,

It's a disease that causes severe bleeding in the rabbit's majororgans. It's 100% fatal if a rabbit shows signs of having it andextremely contagious. I believe in the UK it's a Must to have yourrabbit vaccinated against it.

For more information: www.vhdcoalition.org/lbritrabborgart2.html

-Carolyn

Hi Folks,

I had gotten this reply from another rabbit owner in England.Thought you might be interested or it may help answer yourquestions.

Personally, I still wouldn't give my rabbit the extrafruit/vegetables/treats because of the sugar, but you'll find somedifferences of those opinions in Europe vs. the Westernworld.

-Carolyn

Hello Carolyn

Funny you should mention this I just had mine done today for theMyxomatosis, they had the VHD Viral Haemorrhagic Disease vaccinationtwo weeks ago.
They and vet's recommed that you have the vaccinations annually and the VHD & Myxo must be two weeks apart.
I have just read a leaflet it say's "A single vaccination should begiven to rabbits over Six weeks of age,rabbits should not be vaccinatedduring pregnancy",
That is for the myxo I'm not sure of the VHD vacc so you should check all info with the Vet.
This is for Britains Nobivac Myxo and don't know of the American one sorry!.
Diet: The BRC don't recommend any particular diet only that you mustcompliment it with Good Quality dust free and mould free Hay and freshveg and fruit.
I don't know where you are from but in the UK their is a company calledDodson and Horrell I get my rabbit food from.And the food is calledChudleys Rabbit Royale and smells so nice if I was a rabbit I would eatit.lol
As a lot of people would not know that you shouldn't give apple seeds to rabbits as they contain cyanide
Apple (Malus sylvestris)-seeds contain cyanide
This is a good refence to have,for what NOT to give a rabbit:
http://www.allearssac.org/poison.html#anchor100266
Hope this is of some help.

You're very welcome!! :)

I'll pass that along to the kind woman who gave me the information!

Let us know how Poppy does!

-Carolyn

Thank you i will, do you know how to get a pitcurein the forums? i have tried scanning one in but it does not work. i canput smilies in my messages but nothing else.

Hi Carrots,

Would love to see Poppy.

Within a reply or new post, on the bottom, there is a sectionATTACHMENT: click on Browse, and it'll ask you to "ChooseFile" Find your picture and doubleclick on the name ofit. You'll see the address highlighted. After youhit send, your picture should come up upon viewing it as the rest of uscan do it. Let me know if it works. Others arehaving a problem with this as well.

-Carolyn

P.S. I like the plain writing. The pink highlighteffect is pretty, but fuzzy and hard to read for my old eyes.:?

I will have to take a photo of her first, thankyou hopefully you will all get to see her soon. As for the colouredwriting i have also gone of it its easier and more simple to writeplain. :D

Hi Carrots,

No rush on getting the picture. Whenever you can. :)

-Carolyn

hi Carolyn!!
Thank you so much for informing me on VHD as i ahd no idea such thing exsisted!
Lots of wuv
Loz n the bunnies
xoxoxoxoxo:dude:

Latest posts

Back