Rabbit of the Month - Sophie

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Nutrition and Behavior > Suggestions on bunny pellets please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Mariah

Liked 67 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Hi guys,

So currently my doe is eating about 1/3 of a cup AM and PM of Martins little friends original rabbit food. She LOVES it! They are the round pellets as she wouldn't eat the long pellets anymore so I had to gradually switch her to that. Anyone else feed this? She also gets a sprinkle of Quaker oats in her PM feed, unlimited Timothy hay and water. I also give her a a bit of alpha hay AM and PM as a treat.

My little 8 week old is eating the long pellets that he came with from the breeder. About 1/3 cup AM and PM. He usually does not finish his pellets though. Not sure on the brand. I need to start transferring him to another food but I'm not sure which one. Can he be on the Martins original little friends food? Or does he need to be on a "baby food" until hes older? He also has unlimited Timothy hay with alpha hay, water and a sprinkle of the large flake Quaker oats AM and PM. He seems to eat the oats first and then snack on the pellets.

Please let me know!

Thanks

Old 05-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
LakeCondo
Rabbits

Liked 73 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I don't know that brand, so can't help with that, but bunnies need alfalfa pellets until about 6 months old. He really should have pellets not oats, so at the least I'd reduce the amount of oats. Many people here report their bunnies like Oxbow pellets, which come in young & adult formulas.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:20 AM   #3
Mariah

Like I said, I don't know what kind of pellets hes on. The martins pellets that my doe eats are alpha as she wouldn't touch the other ones which were Timothy based. As well, he gets a sprinkle of oats, not a lot, just a taste. The breeder fed all her bunnies this way.

Suggestions please?

Old 05-28-2012, 04:23 AM   #4
BunMommaD

We like Oxbow, Cookie also prefers it over other brands we tried, when we first got him. Good luck!

Old 05-28-2012, 04:43 AM   #5
ZRabbits

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I switched my Neville and Luna to Oxbow Pellets for Young Rabbits. It is a alfalfa based pellet which my little ones will get until 6-7 months and then gradually be switched to Timothy based pellets. Right now I feed my adults Zupreem. Have had no problems with either Oxbow or Zupreem.

K

Old 05-28-2012, 06:48 AM   #6
SweetPeasMom

Likes Given: 2

my bun doesn't like pellets of any kind so I blend them in a coffee grinder and make homemade treat with them.

I use dried craisins, raisins, dried papaya, pineapple etc

they love them this way

Old 05-28-2012, 07:09 AM   #7
Watermelons
RABBIT_MODERATOR.png

Rabbits

Liked 281 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Martins is a really good food as well. Dont think its available in the states.
I feed it to my guys right now, and have fed the martins for years.

However, the "Martins little friends ORIGINAL" should only be fed to rabbits 6 months and younger, so its great for you 8wk old. This is an alfalfa based pellet with a higher protein, how old is your other bunny? If its older then 6 months should be switched onto the "Martin little friends timothy adult rabbit food".

Continually feeding an adult rabbit high protein items like alfalfa hay and alfalfa based pellets can actually seriously harm their kidneys.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
Mariah

Watermelons, thank you! That is what I needed to hear! I will stop on the way home from work today and get the "adult" brand for my doe and I'll gradually mix in the "original" for my baby.

Thank you!

Also, watermelons and everyone else---> is there any difference to the round pellet vs the long pellets????

Old 05-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #9
ZRabbits

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Mariah wrote:
Quote:
Watermelons, thank you! That is what I needed to hear! I will stop on the way home from work today and get the "adult" brand for my doe and I'll gradually mix in the "original" for my baby.

Thank you!

Also, watermelons and everyone else---> is there any difference to the round pellet vs the long pellets????
Glad to hear you got the info you needed.

Regarding shape, I don't think there is any difference. I'm from the States and only have seen pellets that are long. But truly don't think there is a bit of difference other than the shape of the pellet.

K

Old 05-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #10
Mariah

Zrabbits! Ok that's good to know. I was reluctant to go to the round type of pellets but when Kiwi decided she no longer liked them I had to make that decision.

Also---> how much harm could I have done feeding her the alpha based pellets. She's just over a year now. She's been on them for a couple of months :O She also gets a small spoonful of critical care everynight... She also is not fond of her Timothy hay... What should I do? I'm worried she will stop eating.