Rabbit of the Month - Sophie

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Health & Wellness > Upset bunny tummy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
degrassi
Valerie - Member

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My bunny Gimpy hasn't quite been himself these past few days. I noticed he wasn't eating much of his hay, but I had bought him a bag of Oxbox(timothy & orchard) when his normal hay is a different brand. It sometimes takes him a day or 2 to switch over so his lack of hay eating wasn't too concerning. Plus I was still seeing him eat a little bit of it.

Then about 3 days ago He started pooping a bit on the floor and a few pee spots. He's done it before and I had just changed his litter and clipped his nails so its not uncommon for his to protest by doing this. but it usually only last a day and then he goes back to normal. But thats not the case here. For 3 days he's poop and peed on the floor. He's still going into his litter box too.

He's also not been eating all his pellets. I usually feed him before bed and by morning his pellets are gone. Thats how I can tell when something isn't right as he doesn't eat all his pellets. So for the past few days he's only been eating about half his pellets, and even left some of the oats I had mixed in, when normally the first thing he does is dig through and pick out all the oats.

So today I woke up to him having peed in on his cardboard box and there was 3 spots of diarrhea. I noticed last night when I was cleaning up his poops that they were smaller and kind of tear dropped shaped too. He only ate a bit of his pellets over night. After I cleaned up his cage he did come over and have a big drink and ate a few pellets. So he is still eating a bit and drinking. He is moving around and seems alert.

So what should I do to help him? I dont' want him getting sicker. He has been shedding a lot lately and with his lowered hay intake i'm a little worried. I'm going to go out this afternoon and buy him his regular hay and see if that helps. Anything else work for upset tummies? I tried pumpkin before and he wouldn't eat it.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
golfdiva

Rabbits

Likes Given: 5

You can try some Bene-Pac. It's a probiotic for animals. You can get something similar at TSC too, it's called something else, (I'm blanking) but it's the same thing.

If he's gassy you can try simethicone. It's in the baby section of a drug store or department store. It's drops that break up the gas bubbles.

Also if your rabbit likes to be petted or held, try gently rubbing his tummy.

Goold luck! If it gets worse, better safe than sorry and call the vet!

Edited to add: I just read in another post, the probiotic you can by at Tractor Supply Company is called ProBios. It's for horses and cows and is the same as Bene-Pac.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
degrassi
Valerie - Member

I just got back from buying him his old kind of hay and hes eating some of it right now. So thats good.

I also bought him some Gas drops(orange flavored, Infacol). I have Oval drops at home but they are mint flavored and I wasn't sure if he'd like mint.

I went to a couple different petstores looking for Bene-bac but wasn't successful.I remember seeing it somewhere before but I couldn't find it at any of the stores I usually go to. I called and there is a place on the other side of town that has Bene-bac for dogs. Can you use the dog stuff for rabbits too? Can you use Human probiotics? I have a bunch of gels caps of those I could mix up into some juice of something.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
degrassi
Valerie - Member

How much Simethicone do i give him? He is around 5lbs

Old 11-24-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
golfdiva

Rabbits

Likes Given: 5

I just use the dropper and put simethicone on his veggies. You can squirt it right into his mouth too. Read the directions for babies and give him the smallest amount. It's safe because it's not absorbed into his system. It just breaks up the bubbles.

You can give him human probiotis, but be sure there's no milk or yogart in it. Yes, the dog kind is the same as Bene-Pac!

Go easy on fruit juice, too much sugar. I'd be wary of fruit flavored stuff too. I'm not sure what it is, so limit how much you give him!

Old 11-24-2010, 11:04 PM   #6
Flash Gordon

my buns love the mint tablets......but their fav is the cherry tablets.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:19 AM   #7
degrassi
Valerie - Member

Ok so a couple hours ago I picked him up to check him out and gave him 20mg of simethicone. His butt is dirty(dried so I think it was from during the night) but his tummy was soft but it did feel a bit big.

I went out and bought him the Benebac. It comes in 1g tubes. How much do I give him?

It looks like he ate a bit more of his hay. I'm going to give him another dose of the simethicone and then clean out his cage tonight so I can monitor his poops better.

Poor bunny I hate seeing him not feeling well

Old 11-25-2010, 03:42 AM   #8
rabbit_friend

Check out Dana Krempels' article on stasis -- it's got some good information: http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html.

The Bene-bac should have instructions on it. Usually 1 g per 10 pounds, so you'd give 1/2 gram. Most important is hydration -- are you sure hes drinking enough? Especially if he's had some diarrhea, he might be getting dehydrated and that could lead to stasis.

I wouldn't give him any oats till his belly gets better -- the starch can lead to gas and bacterial overgrowth. I'd also check his pellets if they're new and see if they smell fresh or moldy. There may be something wrong with them that is upsetting his belly and why he won't eat much of them.

Brush him well each day so he doesn't ingest any of that shedding hair.

If you see any more diarrhea or he doesn't start eating more hay and drinking more, take him to the vet asap. He could have an infection or imbalance in his stomach and in rabbits that can go downhill quickly.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:18 AM   #9
Pet_Bunny
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Rabbits

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

How is Gimpy?

Sorry I didn't see this post andyour messages. UsuallyPM's would notify me on my regular email, but nothing showed.

I did see Bene-bac atG&E Pharmacy, but I never had the chance to use them. Not sure how much I would give Gimpy.

I do have Nurti-Cal and Critical Care if you need some. I alsogive Alfalfa hay and Alfalfa pelletsto bunnieswhodon't eat.

Another cause for not eating is when bunnies have problems with their teeth. Is his teeth bothering him or is his mouth sore and causing him not to eat?

Hydration is veryimportant for sick bunnies.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:47 AM   #10
degrassi
Valerie - Member

He doesn't seem to be getting any worse. I cleaned his cage/litter box tonight to make it easier to monitor his poops. I let him run around for about an hour. He hopped around a bit, would come over for pets and is acting fairly normal. I gave him 2 doses of the simethecone this afternoon and 1 dose of the benebac.

His tummy is still feeling soft when I press it but it does feel "full" and more round then normal.

He ate a bit more hay and I saw him eat a couple pellets but nothing much. I haven't seen him drink since the afternoon but I haven't been in my room the whole time.

I guess i'll see how he does overnight