Rabbit of the Month - Sophie

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Health & Wellness > Spay/neuter cost?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2010, 02:18 AM   #1
doggie0506

What's the average cost of a spay/neuter for a rabbit? (and could what are the benifits of a spay/neuter?)

Old 04-20-2010, 03:16 AM   #2
cirrustwi
Retired Moderator

Spay/neuter costs vary widely based on location, vet's experience and size and age of the rabbit. For example, one of the vets I use, will spay a rabbit under 1 year for $95 plus the office visit (neuter is $75). That same vet charges over $200 if the doe is over 1 year. My other vet, charges close to $300 for a spay and simply will not spay a doe over then 1 year. (I have found that many vets won't do a spay on a doe that is over 1 year due to the amount of fat that builds up and the added risk due to extra time under anesthetic.) The best thing you can do is call around to vets with rabbit, not just exotic, experience. Be prepared with the rabbit's age and approximate weight.

As far as the benefits, there are many. Basically, unless you want to breed, there isn't a good reason not to spay or neuter your rabbit. Either way, you get rid of those nasty hormones. Some does are just grouchy after they reach sexual maturity. I once had a doe who was only happy when she was bred. Bucks, well, are boys and boys will be boys. Neutering will sometimes help if you have a buck (or doe) who sprays. If you want to bond bunnies, the easiest pair to bond are a spayed doe and a neutered buck. You lose the risk of uterine and testicular cancers...the list really goes on and on. Most of the benefits of spaying or neutering any animal apply to rabbits as well.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
tonyshuman

Liked 94 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 23

We have only paid for one fixing operation, all the others came to us fixed. The one we did pay for was a neuter, done at the veterinary teaching hospital associated with our school here. It was total $250, including meds, pre-op exam, and pre-op blood work. They did an amazing job but honestly that's kinda what you expect if you pay $250! The Humane Society here charges $100 for a rabbit spay or neuter through their low-cost program, including meds. I would say $150 is about average for a neuter, and $200 is about average for a spay.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
funnybunnymummy
Retired Moderator

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You might want to ask this in the Canada East forum, Doggie. Spay/neuter costs vary so widely from place to place. The rabbit-savvy vets out here charge around $100 for a neuter and $175 for a spay.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Old 04-20-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
dainerra

no spay, but have had 2 neutered. It was $25 for one (he was having something else done at the same time) and the other was $45

Old 04-20-2010, 09:53 PM   #6
jcottonl02
Retired Moderator

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Rabbit spays at my vet are about £70, and neuters are about £55. Quite expensive, but worth it.

If you don't intend to breed, then I would strongly suggest neutering/spaying your bun. Not only does it lesson any territorial, cage aggression, litterbox or spraying issues, I believe it makes for a happier, healthier bun. Also, by spaying your Doe, you protect her from uterine cancer, which unbred does develop quite a high risk of after about the age of 2.

Jen

It is impossible to keep a straight face while in the presence of one or more kittens- Cynthia E. Varnado
Benji (Birthday 29/7/2006) Pippin (5/04/2007- 7/05/2011)
Currently completing a Bsc in Zoology, and then hoping to progress to Veterinary Science.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:03 AM   #7
doggie0506

So it sounds like it could cost anywhere from 100-250 dollars to get Flurry spayed. I would like to have Flurry spayed since I want to get her a friend. Does anyone know if I cold get another female bunny for Flurry or would it not work? Or leave her unspayed and get a neuterd male? (I'm not concerned about price it's just out of curiosity weather or not it could work)

Old 04-21-2010, 02:29 AM   #8
renaelock

I called a vet in the area because I was considering a baby that needed to be fixed and they quoted me 300 dollars for a spay or neuter!

Old 04-21-2010, 02:45 AM   #9
tonyshuman

Liked 94 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 23

If she's not spayed, her behavior around other bunnies will be difficult. Most unspayed female bunnies are quite territorial, to the point of even rejecting siblings or their mom, once they reach puberty. It's really hard to keep unspayed females together, especially if they're not siblings and from the same litter.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:56 AM   #10
elrohwen
Retired Moderator

It can vary a lot. My boy was $400 to be neutered; spays are more. But I live in a very expensive area and my vet's office is one of the best in the area.

-Elrohwen