Rabbit of the Month - Sophie

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Health & Wellness > Kennel Cough and Bunnies?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
lalena2148

Hi all. Well,my poor pup Sydney was just diagnosed with Kennel Cough. She was on antibiotics since last Friday (a week ago) w/ a mild case of Bordatella (basic Kennel Cough) but last night it became worse. So, like a good mommy, I took her to the vet this morning and she had it full on. She's on another antibiotic and a cough suppressant. But, thankfully, no pneumonia. Thank god.

My question is, the bunnies are in the room next to where Sydney rests: could bunnies catch Kennel Cough? I'm not sure if it's contagious amongst other animals. I will probably check with the vet as well. Right now, I'm sanitizing my hands before interaction w/ any of the animals.

Just wondering if any of you smart people have heard of such a thing.

Thanks!

Old 07-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
Flashy

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I believe that rabbits can get Bordatella, both in a doormant form and as an active infection but know no more than that. I'm sure someone else knowledgable will be able to give you more advice.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #3
killertheturtle

Kennel cough is broad term that is used in all animals that get some type of "kennel cough" (i.e. respiratory distress caused by being around many animals of the same species, like a kennel, or puppy mill, etc.).
So rabbits do get kennel cough, however, I believe rabbit kennel cough is a different type of infection than kennel cough in dogs.
From a google search, I found a lot of "pasteurella multocida" for rabbits and with dogs I found a lot of "Bordetella bronchiseptica."

I don't *think* your rabbits can catch your dog's kennel cough. However, I would continue with washing hands (even though the infection is air borne, but it may help a little) and monitoring them closely.
Can you call your vet to ask about this?

Old 07-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
JadeIcing

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Bunnies can get it... This bunny tested positive. Nasal Discharge and Motion Sicknessand there is this thread... Nasal Discharge and Motion Sickness

Old 07-18-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
lalena2148

Well they do think this is Bordatella in the dog.

I did call the rabbit vet however. He's going to call back after 3pm. I checked their noses and such, after THOROUGHLY washing my hands, and there is no discharge. Hazel's eye is goopy again, but that is a common prob for her when she sheds like she is shedding. I'm treating it with meds I have from the last vet visit for her eye.

They're in separate rooms and have had no direct contact. The only way they've been close is walking by them to go outside but there was still a good 3 feet and that was before she started coughing.

I'm really hoping all buns will be ok.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:28 PM   #6
Flashy

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I wonder if the dog and rabbit Bordatella strains are different.

You will have to quaratine your dog until you know for sure, including seeing him after the rabbits, changing clothes (or I used to 'wear' bin liners when dealing with an animal in quaratine), thorough hand washing, and think of the invisibles and how they can pass on.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
Flashy

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/bordatella.htm It sounds like your dog is going to be 'contagious' for sometime yet in terms of excreting it.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #8
lalena2148

Flashy wrote:
Quote:
I wonder if the dog and rabbit Bordatella strains are different.

You will have to quaratine your dog until you know for sure, including seeing him after the rabbits, changing clothes (or I used to 'wear' bin liners when dealing with an animal in quaratine), thorough hand washing, and think of the invisibles and how they can pass on.
You mean change clothes everytime I have to deal with the rabbits? That's really impossible. I have to check on Latte and Hazel alot.

The bunny room had been deep cleaned because of flies, so they were moved into the family room which is next to where Sydney is. There's a lot of airway between them but it's open. Hopefully the vet will put them on something as a precautionary measure just to be safe.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:09 PM   #9
Flashy

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It's just how I would suggest someone quarantines.

You're in a very difficult position and I do feel for you. It's not an easy situation to deal with at all.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:13 PM   #10
lalena2148

Flashy wrote:
Quote:
It's just how I would suggest someone quarantines.

You're in a very difficult position and I do feel for you. It's not an easy situation to deal with at all.
Oh, no I understand Flashy. Thank you for the advice. I'm most concerned about Latte, who had an inner ear infection which turned into Head Tilt 2 years ago. His tilt is barely noticeable and I'd like to keep it that way. Hazel gets a goopy eye and Drizzle...when he's stressed he starts going into stasis. Mom to the rescue!

I hope this vet can point me in the right direction. Right now, I'm finishing my deep clean of the bunny room so I can move them back in there. I have also Lysoled the room (with a fan pointed towards the window and a window fan blowing air out) so I'm HOPING that they'll be ok.

This is getting quite ridiculous here.

So far, no discharge or wheezing (or sneezing) from the bunnies so that's good. Might get them dandelion greens to up their immune system. And I have plenty of benebac for all animals.

EDIT: the buns were NOT in the room when I Lysoled it. FYI. I read that and was like...OMG, I'm horrible! lol.